Friday, November 23, 2012

Things I love, I am thankful

I am thankful for Lily's shy smile, Virginie's eyelashes, watching Lily dance when she thinks I cannot see her, Virginie's inquisitive mind, both girls' constant conversation, Didier's eyes darting from one place to the next while he thinks.  I love to watch my husband walking to the train from our window, his bouncy gait as enthusiastic and energetic as the little boy I imagine him to have been.  I am thankful that each day, whether we drive each other mad or not, Didier and I have something more to discover about one another and thus far, still think that's pretty freakin' cool.  That we adore and admire and support our children with the same intensity and joy.  I love the curiosity, the drive, the charisma, and character of my children.   I love that my people trust me when they look in my eyes and know that I'll always have their backs even if just moments before, I was yelling. I love that we come back to center after every argument, every tussle, every misunderstanding and love it out. We are a family and as it is the first bond, the first experience of community and strength, I want to give that to them hard, drill it in so they never forget and wander off or get lost.

I am thankful for the families that came together to produce me.  Two incredibly strong, motivated, devoted, exceptional families that valued honesty, truth, love, wisdom, service, community, and compassion over the superficial and shallow.  Two families whose matriarchs and patriarchs were willing to endure and suffer setbacks and slights so that their families, their progeny could go forward and soar.  I am so grateful for this blessing and so often let myself forget the strength and guidance given to me by all these people, all these folks, both when they were with me and in spirit.  I am thankful for my connection to the spirit, to the universe, to God without which I would surely have given up.  I am thankful that even when things are difficult, exhausting, terrifying, I want to live and live long.  I accept the responsibility of my lineage and feel blessed that it is mine.  I am thankful that I get to pass this on to my children.

I am thankful for my education, for all that I have learned in school and in life, even when the lessons were damned hard and I thought they might kill me.  I am blessed that the value of a good, proper education was given to me by my parents, their parents, and their parents' parents.  I know that being able to learn, to think for myself, to consider has provided me with many incredible opportunities and allowed me to see the world through eager, inquisitive eyes.  I am so happy to be able to share these wonders with the girls.  I am happy that close-mindedness, shallow thinking, hate, and disdain have not been allowed to take root in my heart or my mind. 

I am thankful that as I age it is still hard to tell just exactly how old I am (for others) and that my body continues to serve me well and that I am in good health.  I pray that I am able to be with the girls and my husband for a long time, a long, healthy life.  I am blessed that the early signs of middle age are creeping slowly and not coming quickly (though I'd love to spend a tiny bit more time in the gym working it all out.)  I have my mother to thank for that, at least her incredible genes, because she looks about fifteen to twenty years younger than she is and has stayed as youthful in spirit (or maybe it's the early onset of the "whatevs.")

My friends and family who have supported me, cared for me, loved me, given to me when I didn't dare ask but certainly needed it have my thanks and gratitude forever.  These gems have shaped my life, changed me and challenged me, begged me to get my lessons when I was violently opposed, blinded by my ego, hurt feelings, and fear.  There are hardly words to describe how that invisible safety net of souls feels when it lifts me up and stands me back on my feet.  Through the trials and tribulations of a life lived seeking the truth, these people are invaluable.  Accepting their guidance and spirit has been one of the greatest gifts of my life.  I am truly thankful.

The Thanksgiving brawls, physical, psychological, and emotional that must certainly attack more than just me, often try to steal my heart and turn it to coal, may try to threaten my sense of gratitude, may try to break my heart and render me thankless.  But even that won't do.  My life is blessed.  My heart is still open.  And I am thankful, thankful, thankful that I am able to continue to love.

Happy Thanksgiving.



(c)  Copyright 2012.  Repatriated Mama:  Back to the Suburban Grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment